Tray-Based Teeth Whitening: Extending Professional’s Touch
Out of curiosity, have you ever asked the question why teeth get dark? Or have you even pondered on the possible answers to this simple query?
Tooth discoloration should not be taken lightly though the case should really lighten to brighten up a smile.
There are many reasons why teeth get stained. The most typical reasons vary from factors written below:
- consumption of staining substances (such as tea, coffee, and colas)
- excessive fluoride and use of abrasives (which only expose dentin and causes severe discoloration)*
- tetracycline (antibiotic) staining
- old fillings
Toothpastes that have whitening agents can minimize the stain that is on the surface of the teeth. The case is also coined by dentists as extrinsic staining. However, professional dental cleanings and whitening toothpastes will not change the intrinsic staining of the teeth, if used appropriately. This is the main reason why tooth bleaching or tooth whitening is so popular.
Normally, teeth whitening remedies are categorized into two:
1. Professional whitening systems
This is usually performed by dentists using whitening gels and lasers to activate the solution. This is normally done inside a dental clinic.
2. Home-based teeth whitening remedy
This could either be done in-between appointments of professional treatments using whitening kits and tray-based whitening techniques or are just home-made remedies from kitchen and medicine items. These applications are usually done at home and according to the frequency suggested by dentists and/or by a product’s instructions.
Just how is tray-based teeth whitening technique employed to the patient? Read on the following four-step procedure:
- A whitening gel is poured all over a tray that just fits over the teeth of the patient.
- The active ingredient inside the gel, carbamide peroxide will be broken down sp that oxygen can enter the enamel to bleach the discolored areas.
- By this, the physical structure of each tooth is not actually transformed. Crowns, fillings, and Bonding will not lighten but the colored substances will.
- Casts or impressions of the tray are customized by dentists. The accuracy of the trays is critical to the treatment
Below are follow-up questions most patients are curious about tray teeth whitening method.
How safe is the method?
Most dentists agree that tray bleaching or whitening is relatively safe, fast, provides easy ways to lighten teeth between two and five shades in a matter of few days.
How is this different from other professional whitening systems?
Below is a list of some professional whitening products dentists in choosing items for their professional whitening system. The kind of bleaching laser or light is enclosed in parentheses.
- BriteSmile (gas plasma light/light emitting diode)
- LaserSmile (a Biolase laser)
- LumaArch (halogen light)
- Rembrandt Sapphire (plasma arc light)
- Zoom! (metal halide light)
Generally, laser treatment is done by applying a 35% Hydrogen Peroxide gel-based solution on the teeth of the patient. After applying the solution on the surface of the teeth, a light is held several inches away from the patient’s mouth to activate the peroxide component of the gel. There are manufacturers and dentists who advertise that this method works better than tray whitening method. There are no actual data completed to support their claims.
Actually, after a year of usual lifestyle habits (drinking tea, colas, coffee, smoking, etc.) treatments using laser-accompanied whitening gel are disregarded. This will cost you another $ 500 or more to have the same treatment again.
However, with the custom-made “mouthpieces”, you can have your usual lifestyle habits for a year and perform touch-ups one day roughly alternately every 3-6 months to take off the new stain inexpensively.